Sunday, April 17, 2011

Illustration for UTNE Reader

Below is a half page illustration I did for the May-June 2011 issue of UTNE Reader! The story titled "Jelly Roll's Storyville" is based on the an interview and recording session of Jelly Roll Morton done by ethnomusicologist Alan Lomax in 1938. I really enjoyed this assignment because I was really able to do some research on the facts - right down to the theater the interview took place in, and the exact model of disc recorder that Lomax used. It was also fun to listen to some great Jazz to inspire the piece while working on it.
It's also great to be in this magazine with some great illustrators including my friend Jesse Kuhn (RAWTOASTDESIGN). Many thanks to Stephanie for the assignment - I really enjoyed this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment